Applications are currently being accepted for the 2024/2025 Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship, specifically for international students interested in pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate program in Hungary.
These scholarships are designed to recognize and support individuals with outstanding academic achievements. The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship is available to pursuing Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, one-tier master’s degree, Doctoral degree and non-degree programmes.
The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship programme was founded by the Hungarian Government in 2013, is supervised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and managed by the Tempus Public Foundation.
The Hungarian Government established the Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship programme to promote the internationalization of Hungarian higher education and to attract top international students from all around the world who can establish personal and professional links to Hungary while enjoying high-quality education in the heart of Europe.
Successful applicants will return to their home countries with marketable skills and knowledge, they can build social, political and economic relationships, thereby contributing to extending and deepening cooperation between Hungary and their home countries.
- Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Non- degree program
- International students
- 1-6 years depending on your program
Eligibility Criteria for the Scholarship
In order to be eligible for the scholarship, candidates must meet the following:
- Applicants must be a citizen of an eligible country and apply for the corresponding program (Full- or partial-time program)
- Born before 31 August 2006 (= applicants over 18 years old as of 31 August 2024 except applicants applying for Dance study program
- Applications from citizens different from the sending country/territory will not be accepted. For example, only Chinese citizens can apply through the Chinese Sending Partner
- Applicants must meet the minimum entry requirements of the chosen study program.
- Applicants must meet the minimum language criteria set by the chosen Host Institution.
- Candidates applying for bachelor’s, master’s, one-tier master’s, non-degree programs, or a doctoral program within the SH (scholarship holder) program in the same application round will not be considered.
The following APPLICANTS will not be considered.Applicants with:
- Granted a Refugee status (“menekült”),
- Enjoying temporary protection (“menedékes”)
- Humanitarian protection (“befogadott”)
- Admitted for subsidiary protection (“oltalmazott”)
- Hungarian citizenship (including those with dual citizenship)
The educational cooperation agreements in effect between Hungary and the Sending Partners determine which fields of study and scholarship types applicants are eligible for. Under no circumstances may applicants apply for a program that is not available in their country.
Benefits of the Scholarship
The scholarship will provide funding for the entire standard program duration, provided that the scholarship recipient maintains a consistently strong academic record and demonstrates exemplary behavior.
FOR BACHELOR’S, MASTER’S, ONE-TIER MASTER’S AND NON-DEGREE PROGRAMMES
- Tuition-free education– exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend– monthly stipend of HUF 43,700 (cca EUR 110) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies
- Accommodation contribution– free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40,000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period (Please note that if the student does not live in the dormitory, the HUF 40,000/month is a contribution to that rental costs, and in bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.)
- Medical insurance– health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act LXXX of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65,000(cca 170 EUR) a year/person
FOR DOCTORAL PROGRAMMES
- Tuition-free education – exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend–according to the current Hungarian legislation, the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140,000 (cca EUR 365) for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180,000 (cca EUR 470) for the second phase (4 semesters) – for 12 months a year, until completion of studies.
- Accommodation contribution – free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40,000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period (Please note that if the student does not live in the dormitory, then the HUF 40,000/month is a contribution to that rental costs, and in bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.)
- Medical insurance– health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act LXXX of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65,000 (cca 170 EUR) a year/person
Please know that these provisions are only a contribution to the living expenses of the Scholarship Holders.
This implies that the funding provided does not entirely cover the expenses of living, and students must contribute their own financial resources to meet all the costs of living in Hungary. We strongly recommend that all applicants assess the anticipated living costs in both Hungary and their chosen city before applying. You can use our Cost of Living Calculator by clicking here to assist you in this regard: http://www.studyinhungary.hu/living-in-hungary/menu/your-costs-of-living.html
How to Apply for the Scholarship
Applicants are required to submit their applications online. Candidates should ensure the online form is properly filled and submitted. Application will not be processed if insufficient information is provided.
For further information about the scholarship application process, kindly CLICK HERE to visit the official webpage.
- Recent passport
- Motivation letter
- Academic transcripts
- School certificates
- Copy of identification documents
- Medical certificate
- Letter of recommendation
- Kindly visit the official webpage for more details
15th January, 2024