This is a great opportunity for African Students wishing to study in Canada. Application is currently opened for African students for 2024/2025 Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Canada for Postgraduate Program. The Mastercard Foundation Scholarship is a prestigious and highly competitive scholarship program that provides exceptional support for outstanding students seeking to pursue master’s degree at the University of British Columbia.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program is a 10-year global initiative to educate and develop next-generation leaders who will contribute to social and economic progress. The Program enables young people from economically disadvantaged communities to complete quality secondary and tertiary education, and make successful transitions to further education, or to the workforce in their home countries. Through comprehensive support, Scholars receive learning opportunities that equip them with knowledge, skills, and values needed to succeed in the economy, and make positive impacts in their communities.
With history dating back to 1908, the University of British Columbia (UBC) stands as one of Canada’s leading academic institutions, renowned for its commitment to excellence in research, teaching, and innovation. Situated in Vancouver, British Columbia, UBC boasts a breathtaking campus nestled between the Pacific Ocean and the Coastal Mountains.
- Master’s degree
- Open to African Students
- Same with course duration
A – Faculty of Forestry
- Master of Sustainable Forest Management (MSFM)
- Master of International Forestry (MIF)
- Master of Geomatics for Environmental Management (MGEM)
B – Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Master of Food and Resource Economics (MFRE)
- Master of Food Science (MFS)
- Master of Land and Water Systems (MLWS)
B – Faculty of Science
- Master of Data Science
Eligibility Criteria for the Scholarship
In order to be eligible for scholarship, applicant must meet the following:
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree;
- must not already have a graduate or PhD degree;
- be 35 years old or younger at the time of application (i.e. born in 1988 or after);
- be a citizen or a refugee of a Sub-Saharan African country (listed here);
- have lived a significant part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African country;
- present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances
- have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances
- show leadership qualities or potential;
- demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to their home community
- be a person who requires a Canadian study permit to study in Canada;
- not be a person who claimed or will claim asylum or protected person status after arriving in Canada;
- commit to returning to Africa in order to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others;
- Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents are not eligible to apply for this award.
- Funds from the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC cannot be applied to pursue programs at other academic institutions.
Selection Criteria for the Scholarship
In order for the Selection Committee to determine your eligibility for this scholarship, you must demonstrate:
- Financial need
- Commitment to give back and
- How your education will contribute towards the transformation of your community, your region or your country in Africa.
Benefits of the Scholarship
Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program only covers the expenses of the admitted scholars. This may includes:
- Covers full tuition
- Monthly stipend
- Travel allowance
- No registration fee
- TOEFL or IELTS
How to Apply for the Scholarship
Applicants are required to submit their application online before applying to the University of British Columbia. All applications are to be submitted electronically in a single PDF document, via email. Candidates should ensure the online form is properly filled and submitted. Late or incomplete packages cannot be accepted and UBC is not responsible for any packages not received by the deadline.
For further information about the scholarship application process, kindly CLICK HERE to visit the official webpage.
- Personal Statements
- Two reference letters
- Signed declaration.
1st December, 2023.