Applications are currently being accepted for the position of Lecturer B (Education and Scholarship), in the department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Sussex. The successful candidate will be an independent, enthusiastic, and committed academic with a top teaching track record who is a team player and would enjoy working in a young, dynamic and growing department.
Founded in 1961, the university of Sussex has a vibrant and inclusive campus that fosters a dynamic learning environment. The university is recognized for its interdisciplinary approach to education, cutting-edge research, and a strong emphasis on societal engagement.
The University is committed to equality and valuing diversity, and applications are particularly welcomed from women and black and minority ethnic candidates, who are under-represented in academic posts in Science, Technology, Engineering, Medicine and Mathematics (STEMM) at Sussex.
VISA SPONSORSHIP QUERIES:
This role has been assigned an eligible SOC code and meets the salary requirements for Skilled Worker Sponsorship if full time. Please consult our Skilled Worker Visa information page for further information about Visa Sponsorship
- Lecturer B (Education and Scholarship)
- Physics and Astronomy
- £45,585 to £54,395 yearly
- Full Time
TEACHING & STUDENT SUPPORTS
- Engage in the planning, delivery, and assessment of innovative high-quality undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, in liaison with the relevant programme and course convenors.
- Identify, design, develop and manage new curriculum proposals that are attractive to students.
- Develop high-quality inclusive teaching materials, methods, and approaches, take responsibility for their quality, and ensure that they meet defined learning objectives.
- Ensure that teaching materials remain up-to-date and relevant, incorporating advances in the subject area into the course of study, and utilizing appropriate technology.
- Set, mark, and assess coursework and examinations; select appropriate assessment instruments and assessment criteria, and provide constructive and comprehensive feedback to students.
- Undertake continuous professional development to maintain an understanding of appropriate pedagogy in the subject area.
- Supervise the work of undergraduate and taught postgraduate students, providing advice on study skills.
- Contribute to the accreditation of courses and quality-control processes.
- Undertake and complete administrative duties required in the professional delivery of teaching.
- Undertake academic advising duties, and provide first-line support for sensitive issues, referring on as appropriate to services providing further assistance.
- Adopt an approachable and accessible attitude towards students, offering office hours, informal advice etc.
CONTRIBUTION TO SCHOOL AND UNIVERSITY
- Attend and contribute to School meetings.
- Engage in activities beyond day-to-day teaching duties, for example Admissions Days.
- Assist with undergraduate and postgraduate recruitment.
- Play a key role in School or University working groups or committees, as required.
- Undertake additional administrative duties, as required by the Head of School.
- The list of duties in the job description should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive.
- There will be other duties and requirements associated with your job and, in addition, as a term of your employment you may be required to undertake various other duties as may reasonably be required.
- Educated to doctoral level, or other equivalent qualification, or appropriate level of experience, as appropriate to the discipline.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage with students using a variety of different methods.
- Experience of teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Excellent presentation skills, with the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with students, colleagues, and external audiences.
- Ability to work individually on own initiative and without close supervision, and as part of a team.
- Ability to exercise a degree of innovation and creative problem-solving.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- A willingness to participate in support activities beyond normal classroom duties.
- Excellent IT skills, with the ability to produce high-quality learning support materials.
- Visa sponsorship
- £45,585 to £54,395 yearly
- Discounts of public transport
- special rates in hotels in Brighton and the Sussex region
- shopping discounts
- Gym Facilities
- Excellent opportunities for advancement
How to Apply
The application is completely done online. Interested candidates should CLICK HERE to submit his/her application.
- Do not provide your bank account or credit card details when applying for jobs.
- You should never pay when applying for jobs
- Cover letter
- Three recommendation letters
14th December, 2023.