The University of Derby has announced a job opening for the role of Events Operations Manager. The University is seeking for a competent individual to lead their Events Operations Team.
The University of Derby is a modern, innovative education provider that achieved its University status in 1992. We have since become a university of first choice for students who want a caring aspirational environment where they can equip themselves for the career they choose.
- Events Operations Manager
- £41,625 to £44,702 per annum (for exceptional performers, there is scope for further progression up to £59,733 per annum)
- Full Time
- Kedleston Road, Derby Campus, UK.
About the Role
As Events Operations Manager you will lead the Events Operations team, which is part of the External Relations department that supports the University’s strategic objectives relating to Recruitment and raising the University’s profile, reputation and impact locally, nationally and internationally.
The Events Operations team has responsibility for the strategic planning and delivery of a full and varied annual events programme, with a focus on delivering high quality events that have high impact. These include open days, interview days, schools and colleges visits, conferences, graduation, events hosted by the Vice-Chancellor, community events, inaugural/guest lectures, virtual, live streams events and many others.
The role of the Events Operations Manager is to ensure that all events are managed and delivered to the highest standard and deliver maximum external impact. You will be responsible for the operational planning and delivery of the annual events calendar, as well as occasional ad hoc events. You will support the Associate Director – Student Recruitment in constantly developing and enhancing the University’s events programme to ensure events at Derby continue to appeal to a wide audience and support our strategic objectives.
Due to the nature of this role, you will be required to be willing and flexible to work outside of normal office hours, as and when required, including evenings and weekends.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Take the strategic lead on the development and implementation of an impactful annual events strategy, securing senior leadership support, that meets University objectives, to raise the profile, reputation and influence of the University to support student recruitment and experience.
- Lead the planning and delivery of all student recruitment and high-profile events – managing the complexities that come from delivering multiple events for stakeholders across the University, including for the Vice-Chancellor and other University Executive Board members.
- Represent the department on the graduation steering group, positioning yourself as an expert in your field, confident to provide advice, guidance and challenge where appropriate.
- Jointly work with Registry to deliver multiple high-quality awards ceremonies at Buxton and Derby involving senior stakeholders including Governing Council and high-profile dignitaries, ensuring a best in class experience for all attendees.
- Lead the idea generation for key events, including graduation, spearheading new ways of working based on industry best practice and sector knowledge. To include digital and other innovative ways of event delivery.
- Take responsibility for ensuring the University is compliant with, and cognisant of industry regulations to ensure compliance with regards to health and safety and potential security risks with a view to mitigating potential risks at university run events. Ensure knowledge and expertise in this area is kept up to date through Continuous Professional Development (CPD).
- Effectively lead the Events team, positioning yourself as a senior manager within the External Relations department, inspiring and empowering colleagues to deliver their best work, ensuring a collaborative approach to working and a focus on continuous improvement and quality.
- Trouble shoot and respond at pace with solutions to challenges that arise in the moment due to the unpredictable and challenging nature of live event delivery.
- Position yourself as the events expert at Derby providing expert advice and guidance to colleagues, including the Vice-Chancellor and her Executive team, to ensure the highest quality delivery of events aligned to the wider strategic direction.
- Have oversight of all events taking place at the University of Derby and lead the University Events Working Group, ensuring that events across the University comply with university objectives and standards. To include managing the Derby calendar in consultation with colleagues, to ensure no conflict of business/event clashes.
- Represent the Events Operations team and Student Recruitment teams at senior leadership meetings as required, providing strategic events advice and input to help evolve the University’s reputation and profile.
- Work with teams across the department and lead on events promotional and communication plans, including email, SMS, and outbound calling to ensure that events attendance targets are met, and ensuring that the attendee receives a high-quality customer service.
- Ensure effective communication with senior stakeholders such as University Executive Board (UEB) and University Leadership Group (ULG) and other internal teams regarding operational requirements throughout the event delivery process, including fully briefing all relevant members of the delivery team prior to an event and acting as a key point of client contact at all stages.
- Prepare and manage designated budgets linked to the events programme and measure the effectiveness of spend regularly.
- Work with the Head of Undergraduate Recruitment to ensure appropriate metrics and performance criteria are in place for all events organised by the team, taking a lead in the evaluation of these and developing and championing methods of evaluation and feedback.
- Oversee annual events budgets, ensuring spend is maximised to achieve Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), whilst not compromising on quality.
- Promote enhanced standards of service and operational delivery of events to ensure the very best level of customer service.
- Carry out any other duties required appropriate to the post as directed by the Head of Undergraduate Recruitment or Associate Director – Student Recruitment
Qualification and Experience
- Relevant first-degree qualification or demonstrable comparable experience
- Extensive experience and demonstrable success in planning, implementing and delivering high profile events
- Extensive experience of planning with defined resources and delivering to this plan successfully
- Experience of influencing at the highest level, with the ability to present ideas and secure stakeholder buy-in, with the confidence and gravitas to push back
- Evidence of operating effectively at management level, with the ability to lead and inspire a high performing team
- Experience of the content creation and approval process
- Evidence of the use of insights to inform and influence strategic decisions
- Extensive project management experience, including large-scale, multiple and complicated projects
- Evidence of success in using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems and data to drive conversion activities
- Experience of managing large events budgets
- Experience of providing marketing leadership and advice
- Up to date knowledge of health and safety and security best practice to ensure events are compliant
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills – written and verbal – with proven ability to engage with senior colleagues and communicate complex information to a variety of audiences
- Demonstrable and deep understanding of student recruitment in the Higher Education sector
- Demonstrable and extensive knowledge of all aspects of marketing campaigns, with in-depth knowledge of media-buying and channel strategies
- Creative and innovative with a strong eye for detail
- Demonstrable ability to motivate, inspire and lead a high performing team
- In-depth understanding of brand guidelines, tone of voice and writing for different audiences
- Resilience and the ability to remain calm, professional and focused at all times
- Proven ability to plan and organise individual and team activities, short and long-term
- Knowledge of legal issues e.g. data protection, CMA guidance and copyright
- Willingness and flexibility to travel and work between University and external sites in a cost effective and timely manner.
- Willingness and flexibility to work outside of normal office hours, as and when required, including evenings and weekends.
- Evidence of continuous professional development
- Competitive pay scales
- Generous holiday entitlement.
- Opportunities for further salary progression based on performance, and the
- Opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme.
- Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications.
Even though this role is eligible for sponsorship under the Skilled Worker Route, we recommend that you assess your individual eligibility before applying for this position.
Visit https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa for more information.
To be eligible for sponsorship you must provide evidence that you hold all essential qualifications listed on the job description. Please note, equivalent experience will not be accepted as evidence of the essential qualifications.
How to Apply
Candidates can apply by submitting an online application. Once you have signed in or registered with us you will be able to begin your application. Kindly CLICK HERE to visit the official website and begin your application.
March 3, 2024