Applications are currently being accepted for the 2024 National Scholarship Programme for International Students by the government of the Slovak Republic. The scholarship is specifically for International students interested in pursuing a postgraduate programme in Slovak. The National Scholarship Programme is a fully funded programme for international students.
In 2005, the Slovak Republic’s government gave its endorsement for the creation of the National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic (NSP). The NSP receives its financial backing from the state budget of the Slovak Republic through the Ministry of Education, Science, Research, and Sport. This program was established to promote the mobility of students, doctoral candidates, university faculty, researchers, and artists.
The National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic facilitates the movement of international students, PhD candidates, university educators, researchers, and artists by providing scholarships for them to undertake academic and research visits to higher education institutions and research organizations located in Slovakia.
- International students
- Within 1–10 months
Eligibility Criteria for the Scholarship
In order to be eligible for National Scholarship Programme, candidates must meet the following:
- FOR MASTER’S STUDENTS
Students who are:
- University students at universities outside Slovakia.
- Students of the second level of higher education (master’s students), or are students who at the time of the application deadline have already completed at least 2.5 years of their university studies in the same/similar study programme.
- Will be on a study stay in Slovakia during their higher education outside Slovakia and who will be accepted by a public, private or state higher education institution in Slovakia for an academic mobilityto study in Slovakia.
- Duration of a scholarship stay (students): 1 – 2 full semesters (i.e. 4 – 5 or 9 – 10 months) or 1 – 3 full trimesters, in case the academic year is divided into trimesters (i.e. 3 – 4 or 6 – 7 or 9 – 10 months)
- FOR PhD STUDENTS
- Students whose higher education or scientific training takes place outside Slovakia and who are accepted by a public, private or state higher education institution or a research institution in Slovakia eligible to carry out a doctoral study programme(e.g. the Slovak Academy of Sciences) for an academic mobility to study/conduct research/artistic stay in Slovakia.
- Duration of a scholarship stay (PhD students): 1 – 10 months.
- FOR UNIVERSITY TEACHERS, RESEARCHERS AND ARTISTS
- University teachers, Researchers and Artists who are invited to a teaching/research/artistic stay in Slovakia by an institution with a valid certificate of eligibility to carry out research and development, which is not a business companyand it has its seat in Slovakia.
- Duration of a scholarship stay (university teachers, researchers or artists): 1 – 10 months.
- If the study/research/artistic stay must last at least 1 month, it is necessary to ensure the length of the stay is for 1 full calendar month (e.g. March 5 – April 4). The same applies for calculating the duration of the stay when assessing the fulfillment of the condition for the minimum length of stay in other cases, if this length is determined in months (e.g. February 5 – June 4 for a 4-month stay).
- When reapplying for a scholarship, approval is contingent on a minimum of two years passing, inclusive of the period between the applicant’s resubmission deadline and the most recent award and receipt of the NSP scholarship.An exemption to this requirement may be granted only in exceptional circumstances, particularly if the prior scholarship-supported stay was significantly affected by unforeseeable events of force majeure, such as a pandemic or military conflict.
The Scholarship does not support:
- International students and PhD students accepted for full degree higher education (bachelor, master, doctoral studies) in Slovakia, or those already studying in Slovakia (full degree higher education) who would like to fund their studies in Slovakia by the NSP;
- University teachers, researchers and artists without PhD degree (or its equivalent) and at the same time with more than 4 years of work experience as a university teacher/researcher/artist (PhD studies are considered as work experience) on the indicated application deadline; however, the scholarship Programme Administrator may, after consulting the Selection Committee in individual cases worth special consideration (especially considering situations caused by force majeure), accept as eligible applicants also candidates without PhD degree (or its equivalent) and at the same time with more than 4 years of work experience but not more than 7 years of work experience, however such applicants may be awarded a scholarship only in the amount corresponding to applicants without PhD degree (or its equivalent) and with less than 4 years of experience;
- International applicants who within the period of 36 months prior to the application deadline have spent in the territory of the Slovak Republic 15 or more months (in total);
- International applicants who are receiving a scholarship in Slovakia in the framework of other scholarship programmes funded from public resources (e.g. International Visegrad Fund, Erasmus+, CEEPUS, bilateral agreements, etc.).
The Minister of Education, Science, Research, and Sport of the Slovak Republic appoints a Selection Committee responsible for choosing scholarship recipients. The Committee primarily emphasizes the following criteria:
- Reasons why the applicant has decided to study, teach, conduct research or artistic activities in the respective host institution in Slovakia;
- Programme of applicant’s study/research/artistic/teaching stay and how the applicant will use the results of his/her scholarship stay for further studies or research activities, or his/her career development;
- Applicant’s professional and personal qualities; as well as assessment of the roposed programme of the scholarship stay in the recommendation letters;
- Study or research achievements;
- if relevant, in case of re-applying for a scholarship, the Selection Committee may also take into account the results/feedback from the applicant’s previous stay;
- Contribution for the host institution;
- Overall quality of the submitted application and its consistency.
Benefits of the Scholarship
The scholarship will provide following:
- Monthly stipend of 620 EUR for university student of the second level of higher education. 1025,50 EUR for PhD students. 1025,50 EUR to 1470 EUR for university teacher/researcher/artist depending on PhD degree (or its equivalent) and as well as years of work experience as a university teacher/researcher/artist.
- Visa sponsorship.
- Covers full living costs during the programme.
- Accommodation and formalities assistance.
- Medical examination bill up to 250 €
- Travel allowance of 50 € to 1500 €. It is a separate component of the scholarship. Applicants need to apply for it along with their scholarship application.
Scholarship holders whose scholarship stay in Slovakia lasts longer than 90 days and who are citizens of countries outside the European Union, European Economic Area and Switzerland, who need for their stay in Slovakia a temporary residence permit, are obliged to submit to the foreign police office a confirmation that they do not suffer from any disease threatening public health within 30 days from being awarded the temporary residence.
How to Apply for the Scholarship
Applicants are required to submit their application online. Candidates should ensure the online form is properly filled and submitted. Online application system is opened at least 6 weeks prior to the application deadline.
For further information about the scholarship application process, kindly CLICK HERE to visit the official webpage.
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter
- Detailed study programme
- Two recommendation letters
31st October, 2023 by 16:00 CET (4 PM)